Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Saint Benedict Medal

by Taylor Marshall

I love the Saint Benedict Medal. I wear one around my neck and keep one on my Rosary. The medal is a sacramental recalling the the power of Christ and his Saint Benedict against the wiles of Satan. As you may know, the medal contains a number of exorcisms. Here they are.

The arms of the Saint Benedict Cross contain the initials of an exorcism rhyme: C S S M L - N D S M D

Latin:
Crux sacra sit mihi lux!
Nunquam draco sit mihi dux!

English:
The Holy Cross be my light;
Never the dragon be my guide.

In the corners of the Cross are the letters C S P B: Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti ("Cross of Holy Father Benedict").

Above the Cross is the word Pax ("Peace"), the Benedictine motto.

Surrounding the circumference of the medal are the initials to the words of another rhyming Latin exorcism: V R S N S M V - S M Q L I V B

Latin:
Vade retro Satana!
Nunquam suade mihi vana!
Sunt mala quae libas.
Ipse venena bibas!

English:
Get behind me, Satan!
Never suggest vanities to me!
Evil are the things you pour,
Drink your own poison!

Source: Canterbury Tales

The exact time and date of the making of the first St. Benedict Medal cannot be certain. But St. Vincent de Paul, who died in 1660, appears to have been acquainted with the Medal and the Sisters of Charity founded by him have worn it attached to their rosary beads, and for many years.

At some point there were letters found on the back of the medal. These remained a mystery until a manuscript dating back to 1415 was found at Metten Abbey in Bavaria in 1647, and the letters were found to correspond to the Vade retro satana (Step back Satan) phrase.

The medal was formally approved by Pope Benedict XIV in 1741 and the Jubliee medal was struck in 1880, in remembrance of the 1400th anniversary of St. Benedict’s birth. The initials of the Vade retro satana formula (VRSNSMV SMQLIVB or VRS:NSMV:SMQL:IVB) have been found on Saint Benedict Medals at least since 1780



Please post your comments.

13 comments:

Daniel said...

Wear or carry St Benedict's medal with you. It wards off from both the soul and body all dangers arising from the devil.It obtains protection and aid for persons tormented by the evil spirit, and in temptations against holy purity.It has often proved an efficacious remedy for bodily sufferings, and a means of protection against contagious diseases.In time of storms, tempests and other dangers on land and sea it has been found to be a protection.

Brad said...

This medal has saved me from evil harm. A witch doctor in Africa attested to this. She told me that spirits could neither harm or assist me while I'm wearing this medal. She told be to take off the medal from my neck so she could get the "good" spirits to protect me from the evil spirits. She said with the medal, she cannot work her magic. I said goodbye to her then.

Jean said...

I wear this medal for protection against evil. I started wearing the medal after a priest who was visiting the hospital where I used to work told me about it. Before that I used to experience all kinds of eerie feelings when I was at work at the A&E wad of the hospital which which attends to all kinds of people involved in fatal accidents etc. Deaths and near deaths of patients are frequent. There are many reports of ghostly encounters of dead patients at the hospital. After wearing the St. Benedict medal, I felt a wholesome calm in my being; I felt protected against all kinds of bad vibes. I've never stopped wearing it ever since.

Larissa said...

This medal offers powerful protection. I went to a well known gypsy spiritualist and tarot card reader for a tarot card reading session once. Before we could proceed, she knew I was carrying a St. Benedict medal as a keychain in my handbag and she told me to remove it and place it outside the premises before she can proceed with the tarot card reading. I then told her politely that I was not ready for a reading that day and went home. I never went back.

Bob G said...

I always carry this medal with me. It has worked for millions, for hundreds of years. St. Benedict protect me and my family. Amen.

Grizzly Groundswell said...

I just found a St. Benedict Medal from the rubble of St. Francis de Chantel Church, here in Greenbush Township, MN. This was a Pioneer church that was used between 1880-1936. At this time, it is unknown if the medal predates or is current with the church, since it was found in its foundations rubble. You can see it here: http://theodoremedia.com/grizzlygroundswell/2011/11/07/when-a-relic-recovered-tells-the-story-of-the-site/

I used your post and you should receive a trackback and my many thanks! Truly a great medal!

Florance Diaz said...

It protects from evil spells and spirits.

Joyce Teoh said...

Early last year my brother told me an old woman approached him on the street and handed him a St Benedict's medal. The old woman told him to wear it and promised my brother's life would change.
My brother said he had never met the woman before that. He was skeptical and thought of this as superstition, so he gave the medal to me. I researched about the spiritual benefits of medal and decided to wear it. I would not like to write the details here, but I have since received many blessings and have avoided many bad decisions. I believe the medal has helped me. Thank you God and St. Benedict.

Alice said...

About 2 years ago I was involved in a few unfortunate situations and things were tough. Nothing seems to work well in my life. I went on pilgrimage to Fatima and met an exorcist priest there. I told him my problems and he recommended this medal to me. I've been wearing it ever since and things have gotten very much better.

Anonymous said...

I started wearing the St. Benedict medal when I was building my home. I have put hundreds of St. Benedict medals in to the foundation and on the roof and I am fully protected and feel very safe as I live all alone.

MLH said...

Extraordinary spiritual protection, wear st benedict's medal with the miraculous medal and the green scapular.

Yella said...

This is a powerful medal. I've had experienced a lot of freak accidents last year and a nun recommended that I wear St. Benedict's medal. After wearing this medal the freak accidents stopped.

New Covenant Journal said...

Have a look at these prayers: Powerful Deliverance And Exorcism Prayers

Post a Comment

Please use a name or a pseudonym when posting a comment.